PLM tools and solutions are built to help with different processes and workflows. The extent of utilization defines the success of a PLM solution for an organization. For the longest time, even the brightest minds believed one solution for all in the form of agile PLM solutions. This was discredited since every organization is different, their nature of operation, functions, workflow, infrastructure, and resources are different. For a company that allows room for flexible product development based on customer feedback, usually is more impressionable and successful.
To extract the best and most out of a given situation, process, and business plan, the business has to act according to its stakeholders. Taking into account the customer feedback, their needs and preferences, stakeholder’s concerns, and market dynamics, personalization should be made. PLM solutions could fail too, given their adamant nature, failure to adapt, and rigidity. To ensure successful executions and results of PLM, customization has to follow. If the current PLM solution does not suffice to the desired needs, a change in PLM or customization is required. From large scale customization, (mass customization) to fragmented customization, a need to alter the paths would arise.
Configuration vs Customization:
The terms should not be confused with one another to appreciate the benefits of both. Configuration unlike customization is mandatory. Customization is however optional. Depending on the workflow, technical dynamics, and process prerequisites, your business may or may not require changes in its PLM infrastructure. Configuration changes could be predicated on roles, behaviors, and performance, but the same is not the case with customization. It is less predictable and no guarantee could be made of its absolute success and performance of oracle agile PLM.
Customization occurs to fit with the organizational needs of the process. Customization implies that two homogenous businesses, with the same products and services, would not implement a similar PLM infrastructure. Determinants of customization in this case include,
- Market Forces: these include inflation, interest rates, laws, and consumer rights directly impact an organization’s workflow. The PLM structure is at the disposal of these market forces and customizing should be done according to the place/country your business is operating in.
- Monetary Constraints: one of the major path shifters is money or capital. PLM structure, solutions, and the toolkits are restrained by the amount of capital invested in it. Your budget has a lot to do with customization. You mold your PLM needs according to your cash flow.
- Service Providers/Consultants: a business may decide to choose a certain PLM infrastructure for its manufacturing and process needs. A consultant provides expert opinion from an outside point of view regarding the solution which is the right fit for your processes. Consultants must be well versed with your products, manufacturing and marketing process, behavioral needs, and workflow to make a conscious decision of customized PLM.
Effects of Customization:
Choosing the right fit for your company is imperative and inevitable. The solution you choose would directly have an impact on your entire work dynamics and the revenue generated as a result. Once you determine the solution, own it, and apply it with utmost confidence. The effects of PLM customization would be reflected in the following avenues,
- Overhead Cost: once you have executed the customized and desired PLM solution, the cost of upgrading it regularly would go up. Regular upgrades would be needed. Deployment costs would be increased. The maintenance cost would constitute a major chunk of your budget.
- Revenue Generation: the most evident effect would be showcased in profits generated as a result of smart and oracle agile PLM support. There are possibilities of an increase in revenue or decrease and downright losses. If the cash flow remains constant then a change of PLM infrastructure or customization is needed. If the revenue is decreasing or losses occur, even then a second thought over the system is required.
Customization helps reroute your current course but the extent of customization should be kept in mind. The inevitability of it cannot be denied but it has to be at a minimum to save a business from overheads and disruptive changes. You may need add-ons, methods, more widgets, and triggers along the process. Make sure you do not cannibalize or harm your brand in the name of customization.