The IT industry is growing by leaps and bounds as new technologies emerge and disrupt industries worldwide. No wonder all the IT companies are vying to get their hands on the best talent out there. For some, this boils down to getting the best resources for the most in-demand IT jobs in 2023.
The impact of the pandemic can still be felt. It has shattered the global economy and pushed many companies out of business. However, the IT industry was the quickest to adapt to the changes imposed by lockdowns. Today, recruitment levels are fast-rising in the IT sector.
Research suggests that most companies are either at their pre-pandemic staff levels or beyond. Firms offer lucrative salaries and other benefits like health insurance, fuel allowance, bonuses, etc., to attract and retain top talent. It can also include offering hybrid or work-from-home work arrangements.
This article discusses the top 10 in-demand jobs in the tech industry in 2023. It also highlights the skills you should look for in your potential resources.
10 Most In-demand IT Jobs in 2023:
1. Database Architect and Administrator
The primary responsibility of a database architect or administrator is to build and maintain the software used for handling a database. Database administrators must also ensure that data is accessible to those who need it. While database architects deal with designing and building databases, database administrators manage their daily operations and upkeep.
Naturally, there is a lot of overlap between the two roles. The architects’ and administrators’ responsibility is to ensure that all the servers operate smoothly and efficiently. They must also look after data implementation, security, backup, replication, storage, partitioning, and access.
Therefore, you should ideally look for a resource that can design, build, and monitor your servers. Not only that, but the resource should also be capable of optimizing the performance of your servers and be available at hand whenever required.
Here’s what you should look for in your database architect/administrator:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or some certification in database administration.
- Experience in database administration or IT sector.
- Linux, Oracle, and SQL skills are necessary.
- Data analysis, management, and reporting skills and knowledge.
2. Information Security Analyst
As technology evolves, the complexity and severity of cyberattacks are also increasing. As a result, information security analysts are in high demand these days, and this demand will only accelerate in 2023 and beyond. These days, companies are doubling down on enterprise privacy and security measures.
Information security analysts are IT professionals tasked with designing and implementing IT security solutions that ensure the company’s data and network are safe and secure.
Ideally, it would be best to look for a resource that can understand and manage complex computer networks. They should be able to proactively anticipate any future security lapses or existing loopholes in the system. Such a candidate would ideally possess a degree in computer science or a master’s in information systems.
This role mandates in-depth analytical and technical skills to ensure effective management and implementation of IT system security protocols. Your candidate should have the following skills:
- Adept at installing, upgrading, testing, and handling security systems.
- Knowhow of possible network vulnerabilities.
- Experience in penetration testing techniques to uncover security system loopholes and vulnerabilities against cyberattacks.
- Knowledge and experience of Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems (IDPS) concepts, antivirus, firewalls, and patch management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to ensure proper documentation of security system processes.
3. Software Developer
Software developers are already highly sought after, and this trend will pick up pace in 2023 and beyond as the world undergoes digital transformation. Developers design, develop, install, test, and maintain software products and solutions.
The job of a software developer or engineer entails coding, designing, and building web and mobile applications. Thus, they have to use different programming languages like C++, C#, Java, HTML, SQL Server, and Microsoft .Net.
But most importantly, a good software developer is not only able to comprehend the client’s requirements but is also able to recommend improvements in the software solutions. The end goal is to meet customer needs effectively. You should look for these skills in your software developer:
- Grasp over the various programming languages.
- Strong technical, analytical, and communication skills.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- Additional certifications and work experience in the software development industry are also desirable.
4. Network and Computer Systems Administrator
Network and computer systems administrators manage the day-to-day operations of a company’s computer network. These resources are vital for all modern-day businesses, except perhaps small-sized companies or startups.
Network systems admins usually have a bachelor’s degree in computer science and are well-versed in technologies like LAN/WAN protocol, hardware, and software. Mostly, their job is to troubleshoot network problems in the company. Therefore, they must always be available if a problem arises in the company’s network system.
The kind of resource that will best suit your company entirely depends on how complicated and extensive your network is. In any case, the following skills are what you should look for in your network and computer systems administrator:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Hands-on network troubleshooting experience.
- Availability after work hours.
- Diagnostic and analytical skills coupled with relevant certifications.
5. Computer Programmer
Computer programmers write code to help develop, improve, and maintain software solutions and apps. This role typically entails the management of different operating systems. It also involves writing new source code or updating the existing one.
Computer programmers and software developers often work together to provide software solutions and programs for companies. You should look for these skills in your computer programmer:
- Strong coding skills and experience.
- Should be able to code, design, test, analyze, troubleshoot, and maintain computer programs.
- Good knowledge of the various programming languages.
- Experience in installing and implementing computer programs across different systems.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
6. Web Developer
As the name implies, web developers develop web applications that serve business needs and help achieve their goals. Good web developers code, script applications, and can handle multiple web applications. They also build and optimize secure web pages.
Moreover, web developers are responsible for maintaining web applications and conducting regular site audits. Since many skills come under the domain of web development, you should seek a web developer whose skill set suits the goals of your business.
- Knowledge and grasp of different programming languages.
- Strong coding skills.
- Excellent communication skills to work well with all the stakeholders, particularly business clients.
- Front-end and back-end coding experience and skills.
- Experience and skills in deploying solutions to the cloud or any other environment.
7. Computer and Information Systems Manager
Computer and information system managers look after a company’s IT goals and aims. They are commonly called IT project managers or simply IT managers. Their goal is to analyze an organization’s tech requirements and make recommendations to the higher management accordingly.
Thus, IT managers supervise the planning, implementation, and maintenance of a company’s computer hardware and software. Moreover, these managers are responsible for handling the IT resources of the company and managing its IT budget and security. You should look for the following skills in an IT manager:
- Experience using ERP, database management, and web platform development software.
- Good knowledge of computer engineering, hardware, software, and analytical skills.
- Should understand management principles to ensure effective management of IT employees.
- Excellent communication and managerial skills.
8. Systems Analyst
Systems analysts are very similar to network administrators. They are responsible for designing techniques and methods that aid in solving business problems by conducting an in-depth analysis of the IT systems of a company. Moreover, systems analysts test databases and programs to ensure they operate efficiently.
Thus, it is a systems analyst’s job to uncover IT issues and fix them in the best possible way. For this, systems analysts conduct regular audits and document all the processes that impact the IT system of a company. You should look for these skills in a systems analyst:
- Out-of-box thinking and creativity.
- Excellent communication skills coupled with problem-solving abilities.
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or information systems.
- Programming and data analysis skills.
- Project management skills, along with experience in technical analysis and business management.
9. Help Desk Professional
The help desk is an essential component of customer-centric companies. These professionals serve as the first line of communication between the company and the customer. Thus, help desk professionals must possess both technical knowledge and adequate social skills to serve the customer well.
Help desk professionals require different skills and competencies, depending on the company’s needs and requirements. You can, therefore, divide the necessary experience and skill set into three levels:
- It is for entry-level positions where the resource should ideally have a few years of experience, a diploma in computer science, or other certifications.
- These positions require 3 – 4 years of work experience and a bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- Higher-level positions require more than 4 years of help desk experience and a proper IT education background.
10. Cloud/Network Architect
Network or cloud architects design, develop, deploy, and manage a company’s cloud and network projects. These resources have a robust understanding of different operating systems and are well-trained in programming, networking, and security skills.
You should ideally look for someone with solid knowledge and experience in cloud services like AWS and Google Cloud. A good cloud or network architect should possess the following skills:
- Excellent grip over IT Service Management (ITSM), automation, vendor management, and networking.
- Knowledge of architectural principles and cloud technologies.
- Ability to and experience in scaling cloud-based apps.
- Proper understanding of the performance and cost of cloud infrastructure.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
We believe these top 10 tech jobs will be in high demand in 2023 and beyond. Yes, you might confuse some of these roles with each other. But that’s okay since these jobs have a lot of room for overlapping responsibilities and duties. Nevertheless, we hope this article helps you find the right type of resources for your business.